Recently I posted about the trend of fancy sweatshirts, and I finally got around to making my own version. Mine is pretty subtle, with matte silver gems on a gray shirt, but I really like the effect. Plus, it’s nice and cozy on these cold winter days we’ve been having lately. Here’s how to make your own.
Sew-on gems (I used two packages of Favorite Findings Sew-On Gems, Silver Rectangles)
Measuring tape or ruler
Chalk or fabric marker
1. Measure from shoulder-to-shoulder around the collar of the shirt, and mark the center.
2. Using the center mark as a starting point, lay our your gems in the pattern you want. Mark the ending points of the gem pattern closest to the shoulder seams, making sure that they’re the same distance from the shoulder seams at each side of the shirt.
3. Sew on the first gem in the center of the shirt, using several stitches per hole to secure it. I lined up the tops of my gems with the collar stitching to keep them straight.
4. Hand-sew on the gems at each end of the pattern.
5. Fill in the rest of the pattern by hand-sewing on the remaining gems.
Stay warm (and sparkly)!
My name is Rachel and I live in wonderful Portland, OR. Transient Expression is about fashion, style, and DIY. I love to share craft projects, cute outfits, recipes, and inspiration for living a handmade life.
Subscribe by Email