tiny polymer plant pot DIY tutorial

I’m really a sucker for anything miniature. You know what’s cute? A horse. You know what’s even cuter? A miniature horse. Just try to deny it. You can’t. It’s scientifically proven. It’s also undeniable that these tiny little plant pots, complete with mini plants, are way cuter than full-size ones. They’re also super convenient, since you can fit one just about anywhere, and you can make tons of them if you have more space.

Materials:
Polymer clay (I used Premo Sculpey in white, from here)
Melon baller (or other tiny scooping tool)
Knife
Oven

Methods:
1. First a little bit about clay. I haven’t used polymer clay much, but from what I read about it the different types (Sculpy, Fimo, etc.) have slightly different characteristics. I chose this one because it is supposed to be very strong and durable after it bakes up. I’m sure you could use another type if you wanted to. Like all polymer clays, though, it needs to be conditioned before you use it, which just means it needs to be kneaded and worked until it has softened up.
tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot
2. After you soften up your clay, grab a couple of inches and roll it into a ball. Keep rolling until it’s a perfect sphere, without any creases or lines. After you’ve achieved a ball you’re happy with, put your clay in the freezer for about 10 minutes to stiffen it back up. This helps prevent it from getting squished in the next few steps.
tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot
3. Take your clay out of the freezer and scoop out the insides using a melon-baller. It helps to use a knife to start the scooping.

tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot
4. Keep scooping until you’ve thoroughly hollowed it out and the walls of the pot are about 1/4 inch thick, unless you plan to cut geometric faces. If you want a faceted look, leave the walls of your pot at least 1/2 inch thick.

See that excess clay you scooped out of your pot? You can squish it all back up and use it for another pot.
tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot
5. If you want a faceted pot, put your clay back in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then use a very sharp knife to slice geometric planes into the sides of the pot. For one of my pots I did very regular cuts, and for the other I freestyled it. The photo below shows the pot without the hole in the middle, but scooping out the middle after you’ve cut the facets is really difficult and I don’t recommend it. I tried several times and had to restart each time. If you cut too deeply or squish your pot while you’re doing this you’ll have to start over. I won’t lie, I had to re-do mine several times before I got the look I was after.
tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot
6. Place your clay pot on a small piece of cardboard on top of a baking sheet and bake according to the directions on your clay. My clay said to bake at 275 F for 30 minutes for each 1/4 inch thickness of clay, and I think I baked mine for 40 to 50 minutes, depending on the pot.

7. Put some teensy plants in your pots! I borrowed some succulents from a nearby sidewalk and my yard. You really don’t need much dirt, but try to use some that is kind of sandy, since you won’t have drainage in these pots. If you want drainage you can poke holes in the bottom of the pot before you bake the clay, but I didn’t think it was necessary.

tiny DIY polymer clay plant pot

I made this plain little pot a holder using these instructions and substituting embroidery thread for rope.

Tagged with:

57 Responses to Tutorial: Tiny Polymer Clay Plant Pots

1. Ldkeesee says:

How cute. I know what you mean about minature. I am the same way. Use to collect minatures from mini ketchup bottles to minature goats (-;
    But have yet to get my minature donkey (so cute) and minature pig.
    Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
    Linda @MixedKreations

2. Stacey Brown says:

Oh! This is a great idea – I’ve been looking for a unique pot to give to my mother-in-law for her new sunroom and these would be perfect! Thank you for sharing :)

3. RachelJG says:

I love this! I am making some for my dorm room! :D

4. Cara Jane Hayman says:

great idea – so cute!

5. Miss B, says:

The cutest + most clever tute ever:)

6. Jennygizzi says:

Does it need anything on it once baked in order to put water in it? So Cute!

7. Melissa says:

Adorable! But I was wondering if you can use hot glue on it? I have never messed with polymer clay but how cute would it look if you hot glued a bunch of these to a piece of plywood and hung it on your wall.

• admin says:

Melissa, I’m not sure how well hot glue would work, but this seems like a great idea! You just might want to use a sturdier glue, like my personal favorite, E6000.

• Kirsten says:

I’ve been addicted to polymer clay for about two years now and have been using it for all kinds of things. If you scuff up where you’re going to glue before you bake it, the glue will adhere well. But if you’re planning to just glue normal clay, it will slip right off.

8. De says:

Melissa, you could probably modify the design a bit to add screw holes, or holes around the top for decorative wire hangers, or a hole for a section cup on the window hanger.

9. […] 7. Tiny polymer clay plant pots – Transient Expression […]

10. Briana says:

I’m not sure how I find your website, but I’m happy I did! I have been making things with this exact same clay and I’m super excited to make this today! I hope my fiance doesn’t mind a billion little plants everywhere in the house lol. Great idea! And the hanging part…ohhhh mannn, even cuter!

11. carlos says:

i want to make it into the shape of Mexican sugar skulls and then paint it

12. Taron says:

I’m always looking for new things to keep me busy, and this is perfect. My apt could use some plants and plus this looks really cool. Thank you so much for this idea.

13. […] 5. Stained Pallet Shelving 6. Bottle Lamp 7. Upholstered Ottoman/Coffee Table 8. Type Rug 9. Tiny Polymer Clay Pot Plant 10. Vintage Word Art 11. Starburst Mirror Posted Under: Favorites from Pinterest Weddings Tagged: […]

14. Sidney says:

What plants would be tiny enough to fit inside this?

15. Briana says:

You totally inspired me to make some too! Here is one of them.
    I also made some pumpkins haha
    I’m thinking of trying out making a turkey. The little pot was actually the most difficult! After baking, I did a lot of sanding which was easier for me than slicing at the beginning.

• Rachel says:

Briana, awww, those are so cute! You did a great job! I think a turkey would be adorable. Would you use it as a Thanksgiving decoration?

16. Kathryn says:

Love these! Going to make them with my daughter for her fairy garden.

17. […] < Hogar < DIY < vanessaarcu Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees Tutorial: Tiny Polymer Clay Plant Pots I’m really a sucker for anything miniature. I never can manage to come up with them myself, but […]

18. Christine says:

Thanks so much for the inspiration. My daughter and I made these for Christmas gifts for our family. Even though they were miniature they were a big hit. Thanks again! :)

19. […] How I learned that succulents, while an indoor plant, are still considered seasonal at the common home improvement garden centers, and moreover, how I created utterly adorable favors in mass inspired by Rachel at Transient Expression; […]

20. […] How I learned that succulents, while an indoor plant, are still considered seasonal at the common home improvement garden centers, and moreover, how I created utterly adorable favors in mass inspired by Rachel at Transient Expression; […]

21. […] Hi guys! I’m popping in today to show you the favors that I made for our recent wedding. Know, while perusing this, that my inspiration came from Rachel at Transient Expression. I saw and repinned her project back in the springtime, and when it came time to figure out what we wanted to gift our friends and family, her design blew most other ideas away. Check out her tutorial here. […]

22. […] Hi guys! I’m popping in today to show you the favors that I made for our recent wedding. Know, while perusing this, that my inspiration came from Rachel at Transient Expression. I saw and repinned her project back in the springtime, and when it came time to figure out what we wanted to gift our friends and family, her design blew most other ideas away. Check out her tutorial here. […]

23. Rachel Denbow says:

So darling! I love that you made a hanging one, too. I bought some clay for my daughter and I to make beaded necklaces with and cut a bunch into geometric shapes but didn’t know what to do with them other than string them up. I may need to make some mini planters with them!

24. […] Revisit your childhood with some Sculpey or Fimo. Directions here. […]

25. Tanusree says:

this is so pretty. i have never worked with clay but you make is sound so simple that i want to give it a try.

26. Anna says:

You can also slice polymer clay with a sharp knife after its been baked. If you use black clay, it leaves these cool looking lines in the clay – kind of urban and edgy looking.

• Rachel says:

Anna, that sounds cool! I’ll have to try out both of those methods next time I use polymer clay. Thanks for the tips!

27. rox says:

Hi! great tutorial. Just a question, In step 6 where you give baking directions… does that mean bake in a regular oven or a special clay baking oven? I’m not familiar with baking clay, so I want to make sure. Thank you!!

28. […] For step-by-step instructions and a materials list, see Transient Expression. […]

29. Minalg says:

I liked it..I’m gonna try this for sure.

30. Jen says:

Here’s how mine came out. Thanks for the inspiration! http://jenmeyerart.com/2013/06/05/diy-baby-succulent-planters/

31. Jeanine H says:

Just trying this today.. Wondering first, did your “cardboard” in the oven bake not Burn up? How is that? What is the purpose? I have a sort of chicken rack to put on the baking sheet to lift up the wee pot and bake it every side. Is that what the cardboard is for? Sorry, this is my very first go at polymer EVER

• transientexpression says:

Jeanine H, the paper keeps the clay from touching the metal directly. If it’s on metal it will end up shiny on the part that was in contact with the metal. The cardboard should be fine as long as it’s not directly touching any parts of the oven, but if you’re worried about it you can also use parchment paper. Good luck!

32. Jeanine H says:

Hey there! I just tried and finished mine! It was my very first time EVER, working with this clay! I have to thank you for your amazingly simple tutorial instructions! I don’t think mine looks near as good as yours, however, the only reason I had the ability to try was becuase of your post! SO MANY THANKS for taking the time to share this with us!!! I will upload a photo for you to see once I find a succulent. I don’t believe this grow in our backyard! I will have to ask a neighbour :D :D

33. Arman De Rochefort says:

can you use a regular oven

34. Shayna says:

does the clay need to be sealed? can you get planter wet?

35. nikki says:

where does one get those tiny plants? awesome job on the pots, super duper cute

• Rachel says:

Nikki, mine were succulents that are used as groundcover. Depending on your area you may be able to find them in the yards of friends/family, or in the garden section at large home improvement stores.

36. Renee Chester says:

I had a hard time keeping mine perfectly round and intact, how should i do it?

37. hairi says:

What type of this plant??